The Village of Itasca is partnering with the Conservation Foundation to assist residents in becoming more eco-friendly. One of the initiatives of the Conservation Foundation is to promote and encourage residents to purchase rain barrels, which save money and helps the environment.
Through this partnership, residents can save up to 60% on the purchase of their barrels. Order yours today here. A subsidy is available for Village of Itasca water customers. There is a limit of three (3) subsidized barrels per household. Only 200 barrels are available at this discounted price!
What are Rain Barrels?
Rain barrels are a simple, efficient, low-cost method to reduce the amount of stormwater runoff from your property. Estimates indicate that a quarter inch of rain falling on an average home yield over 200 gallons of water. Rain barrels are simply large containers that capture stormwater from your roof that would otherwise be lost as runoff.
How can the rainwater be used?
- Rainwater doesn't contain chlorine, lime, or calcium which makes it ideal for watering your flowers and vegetable garden
- Use rainwater to wash cars or windows.
- Attach regular or soaker hoses to the bottom spigot and top overflow valve and direct to landscape areas nearby
Even if you don't have an intended use for the water, emptying the rain barrel after a storm reduces the rate and volume of stormwater the sewer system and our rivers and streams have to manage at a peak time.
How do I get my rain barrel?
To order your rain barrel, please click here; you will be redirected to UpCycle Products Inc webpage. Scroll to the Subsidized Rain Barrel Section in the Products listing.
- For event location, select Village of Itasca. A subsidy is available for Village of Itasca water customers. There is a limit of three (3) subsidized barrels per household. Only 200 barrels are available at this discounted price!
- For Barrel Color, select between one of the three colors
- Delivery Method - The Village suggests selecting Pickup. See below for more information.
As part of the Village's Green Day event on May 6th, residents will have the option to come pickup their rain barrels free of charge from the Public Works facility at 411 N. Prospect Ave. Residents who are unable to pickup their barrels on May 6th may call Public Works at (630) 773-2455 to make alternative arrangements.
Residents also have the option to select home delivery and have the barrel(s) delivered directly from Upcycle Products. However, please be aware that there is a $32.50 delivery charge for each rain barrel.
How to decorate your rain barrel
If you are looking to add a little flare to your barrels, consider decorating them. It's fun and easy to do by following these simple steps:
- Make sure your rain barrel is clean by using a dish detergent to make certain your surface is clear of any dirt, grease or oil, as a dirty rain barrel will prevent the primer from sticking properly.
- Use a plastic primer to use as your base coat.
- Once the primer coast is completely dry, you are ready to create your masterpiece. Use interior/exterior grade acrylic paint.