Historical Depot Museum
The Historical Depot Museum and 1939 Milwaukee Road Rib-side Caboose
Admission is free!
The Depot Museum and Caboose are open Tuesdays & Thursdays from 11am-4pm,
and the 1st & 2nd Saturdays each month from 9am-2pm.
The Depot will be closed on Thanksgiving Day,
Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve.
Click here for Depot Programming
Welcome to our new Museum Curator
Phase 1 was a joint project between the Park District and Village of Itasca. A 20-car parking lot was added, along with a picnic shelter and cement pathways.
This phase is complete.
Phase 2 restored the 140 year-old Itasca Historical Depot Museum to its original look.
1939 Milwaukee Road Rib-Side Caboose is
undergoing a restoration including stripping and painting the caboose
its original orange color.
See pictures under our What's New? section or click on the links below:
Depot Museum renovation pictures
1939 Milwaukee Road Rib-Side Caboose renovation pictures
Exhibits can currently be found at the Springbrook Nature Center, Village Hall, and Itasca Library.
History of the Depot: Dr. Elijah Smith founded Itasca and had the foresight to see how a railroad would shape Itasca's future. He donated his own land for the railroad right of way and the $400 to build the Itasca Depot in 1873. the Itasca Depot served as the Itasca train station from 1873-1976.
In 1976, a new station was built directly next to the original. Once the new station was completed, the 103 year-old station was slated to be demolished. The Itasca Historical Society rallied and saved the depot from this fate. It was moved on December 6, 1976, down Irving Park Road 864 feet to its current location. Since then it has served at the Itasca Historical Depot Museum.
Depot Museum address: 101 N. Catalpa, Itasca