If You're an Identity Theft Victim

Reporting Identity Theft

  1. Report the incident to the police.
    • If you know the jurisdiction where your identity was stolen, that is where you should
    • report the theft
    • Insist on a police report number
  2. Report the incident to your bank. Notify them of lost or stolen credit cards and checks immediately
  3. Contact the Federal Trade Commission. Call 877-438-4338 and log the complaint
  4. Contact the Social Security Administration's Fraud Hotline. Call 800-269-0271

Contacting Fraud Departments

Be sure to have a Fraud / Victim Impact, statement placed in your credit file asking creditors to call you prior to opening any new accounts. The 3 major credit reporting agencies include:

Equifax Credit Bureau Fraud Department

TransUnion Credit Bureau Fraud Department

Experian Information Solutions