The following are Homeland Security Advisory System recommendations for businesses:
- Be alert to suspicious activity and report it to proper authorities.
- Contact a private security firm for security risk assessment and to determine availability of support reinforcement.
- Contact a voluntary organization you support to determine how you can provide assistance in the event of an emergency.
- Dialogue with community leaders, emergency management, governmental agencies, community organizations, and utilities about disaster preparedness.
- Ensure your emergency communication plan to include the purchase of needed equipment.
- Obtain and review a copy of Terrorism: Preparing for the Unexpected brochure from your local Red Cross chapter. And request a presentation on terrorism in your workplace.
- Develop and review a written emergency disaster plan to address all hazards. Include an emergency communication plan to notify employees of activities: designate an off-site report to location in case of evacuation.
- Develop and review your continuity of operations plan to include designating alternate work facility/location for business.
- Arrange for staff to take a Red Cross CPR / AED and first aid course.
- Check telephone numbers and email addresses in your personal communication plan and update as necessary.